The Glynn Ice Company was established and incorporated in 1903 by R.C. Baumgartner. At its conception the company originally operated on Grant St. During
those early times demands for the horse and buggy delivered block ice were high. The company was very important to the residents daily lives by providing
ice, as our refrigerators and freezers are for us today. As the county grew, so did demands. In 1907 the operation expanded with a new and larger two story
structure on the North end of Newcastle Street. Daily output production capacity could provide 75 tons of frozen block ice! In 1912 F.D.M. Strachan [ pronounced
Strawn] took over the company. At that time the telephone numbers were listed as Tel 21 and Tel 39.
In 1920 with ever growing demands for ice, the company expanded and moved its operation to its current location on George Street. Coal, another important necessity was added to the product line. The coal was brought in by a railroad spur from Cochran Avenue (now MLK) Ice and coal were delivered daily to Glynn county residences by horse & wagon as well as trucks. In 1930, F.D. Aiken, the president of Brunswick Bank and Trust took over the operation. During that time the company changed its name to: Glynn Ice and Coal Company. The blueprint below shows the layout of the operation at that time.
The remaining 70% is scheduled to be restored as a
12 office condominiums professional building.
Photos taken by Kathie Akins & The Brunswick News
Restored and occupied Residence on left
Photos by The Brunswick News
Glynn Ice Company of Brunswick, Georgia
Visit the Main Site
Page Last Updated 2/5/07